Friday, January 7, 2011

How to Re-Use Absolutely Everything: Christmas Wrapping Paper Idea #1

This past Christmas, I brought home the gift paper that had wrapped my gifts (for crafting purposes). Christmas in America generates ridiculous amounts of garbage, and wrapping paper is part of that. In fact, the whole point of wrapping paper is to rip it off and throw it away, which just seems pointless to me. Why pay money for pretty paper that you're just going to...throw away? That aside, I saved mine and added it to my paper stash while I devised different ways to use it.

I initially figured that I could use as the background for Christmas-themed scrapbooking pages. It works just as well as made-for-scrapbooking paper if you paste it onto a cardstock backing, and costs considerably less than the 50 cents a page that scrapbooking paper costs. I haven't been in much a scrapping mood lately, though, so I've been digging around for other papercrafting ideas to make use of my salvaged wrapping paper.

Enter this cute ornament tutorial from How About Orange.

Christmas wrapping paper works great for making Christmas tree ornaments, and it's a great way to decorate handmade. ^.^





I used pony beads as I have no idea where my other beads are hiding right now, but overall I think they came out pretty cute, and they actually use a relatively small amount of paper, so one sheet from a gift should make quite a few. Our Christmas tree is already put away for the year, but I look forward to being able to use them next December.

I'll have more wrapping paper ideas posted in the future, so keep your eyes open.

No comments: